La Gleize - Royal Tiger Tank & Museum

La Gleize - Royal Tiger Tank & Museum
On February 17, 2020

Bogged down, short of fuel and slowly being encircled by the Allies, the Germans finally abandoned their Ardennes adventure at the village of La Gleize, west of Malmédy, two days before Christmas 1944.


More Pictures...

Bogged down, short of fuel and slowly being encircled by the Allies, the Germans finally abandoned their Ardennes adventure at the village of La Gleize, west of Malmédy, two days before Christmas 1944.

Peiper ordered the remaining 135 tanks and armoured vehicles to be disabled, and with 800 men trekked through the night to arrive at their Divisional HQ on Christmas Eve.

Today, one of the abandoned German 69-tonne ‘King Tiger’ Panzer tanks has been restored and sits outside the December 44 Museum, the only war museum situated on a spot where fighting actually took place.

The King Tiger’s gun had a range of about two thousand metres, but it was unsuitable for the narrow roads and bridges of the Ardennes, and was prone to mechanical breakdowns.


Bastogne Barracks

Bastogne Barracks
On February 17, 2020

A high place of the Battle of the Bulge.


More Pictures...

On 16 December 1944, the Germans launched their last major offensive in the west. Bastogne was an objective of paramount importance that the Americans had to defend at all costs. One man, Brigadier General Anthony McAuliffe, Commander ad interim of the 101st Airborne Division, arrived on 19 December 1944 in Bastogne with his division and set up his headquarters in the barracks of Sub-Lieutenant Heintz. On 22 December 1944, he made history by pronouncing the famous "Nuts" in response to the request for surrender of the Germans surrounding the city. This brief negative reply will have a major impact on the outcome of the Battle of the Bulge.
 
Since 2010, BASTOGNE BARRACKS has been converted into a World War II Interpretation Centre. Don't miss the visit of the "Nuts" Cellar, which illustrates this central episode of the Battle of the Bulge, as well as multiple exhibition spaces. You can also discover the "Vehicle Restoration Center", where the armoured vehicles of the Royal Army Museum are given a new lease of life.

Natural Reserve of the Seine Estuary

Natural Reserve of the Seine Estuary
On February 14, 2020

The national nature reserve of the Seine estuary is the second largest in France.


More Pictures...

The national nature reserve of the Seine estuary is the second largest in France.

This natural area winds through the towns of Sandouville, Saint-Vigor-d'Ymonville and The Cerlangue onto the territory of Le Havre Seine metropolis by designing unique landscapes born of the encounter between land and sea. It  is home to typical environments - mudflats, salt marshes, ponds, reed beds or wet meadows - favor the development of a rich biodiversity but also fragile.


Château du Blanc-Buisson

Château du Blanc-Buisson
On

On the borders of the Eure, the Château du Blanc-Buisson is a very beautiful Norman feudal residence built during the reign of Philip the Fair in 1290. Over the next 7 centuries, it belonged to only three families and was almost always passed on by marriage or family inheritance.


More Pictures...

You will be seduced by this house, which is among the last vestiges of this post-medieval architecture in the Land of Ouche. Your curiosity will be aroused by the evocation of the legend that evokes the presence of underground passages passing under the moat... Member of the Bienvenue en Normandie network.
Every year in the spring, an association of enthusiasts bringing together owners and inhabitants of the region organizes beautiful cultural events that bring to life this 700 year old Norman heritage! The estate now hosts seminars, events and "à la carte" stays with the possibility of privatizing the castle and staying on site.
In the Pays d'Ouche in Normandy, discover a castle whose origins date back to the end of the 13th century.


Abbaye de Mortemer

Abbaye de Mortemer
On

Located in a beech grove in the heart of the forest of Lyons, the Abbey of Mortemer welcomes you for an unforgettable visit!


More Pictures...

Located in a beech grove in the heart of the forest of Lyons, the Abbey of Mortemer welcomes you for an unforgettable visit!
Enjoy a guided tour of the south wing of the Abbey; stroll through the romantic ruins, in the park, or on the path of the Dukes of Normandy; even visit the museum of legends and ghosts and the bachelors' fountain! From the exploration of the estate to the little train ride around the ponds, expect a total change of scenery!


Musée Eugène Boudin

Musée Eugène Boudin
On February 12, 2020

As part of the fourth edition of the Normandie Impressionniste festival, the Eugène Boudin museum will devote its temporary exhibition to Charles-François (1817-1878) and Karl (1846-4886) Daubigny, a new exhibition, as much by the theme - their activity on the Norman territory - as by the crossed glance which it will propose on their respective works.


More Pictures...

Admired by Van Gogh as a great colourist, Charles-François Daubigny visited the Normandy coast for the first time around 1840 and discovered Villerville in 1854, where he became enthusiastic about the richness of the coastal motifs. The contact with the sea inspired him a new pictorial typology: the expanse of the ocean and the sunsets, the black rocks at low tide, the beach and its cliffs with the village overhanging... He soon stays in Honfleur, where he develops artistic and friendly links with Eugène Boudin. In Trouville, he painted alongside Courbet and Monet.


Domaine de la Murta

Domaine de la Murta
On

Admirably exposed on a hillside overlooking the Gulf of Figari, Domaine de la Murta is located in the Figari Appellation area, a vineyard already praised by Cato the Elder.


More Pictures...

Created in 1965, the Domaine is run by Jean-Paul Cantara, a fervent defender of the region's ampelographic tradition. Heir to a knowledge passed down from father to son since 1885, he has been cultivating vines organically since 2002 and has the AB label certified by ECOCERT. Situated on a very old and particularly dry plateau, half alluvial, half granitic, the vineyard benefits from the beneficial effects of the wind which, by often rushing at nearly 150 km/h through the Gulf of Figari, contributes to the purification of the vines. Occupying a surface area of 8 hectares, the vineyard shelters the traditional grape varieties of the Corsican-Figari Wine Appellation but also the vines of Carcajolu Neru, a grape variety which adds a touch of complexity and finesse to the red wine produced at the Domaine. The estate has added the Cardo range to its range.


Domaine Pieretti

Domaine Pieretti
On

The Pieretti Estate stretches out on hillsides around the village of Santa Severa, located on the eastern coast of the Cap Corse, 30 km north of Bastia. The vines, set on the seaside and in the middle of the Corsican maquis on a clayey-schist soil, in a very windy region, undergo the marine influence, which gives the wine a lot of finesse and minerality.


More Pictures...

 The Pieretti Estate stretches out on hillsides around the village of Santa Severa, located on the eastern coast of the Cap Corse, 30 km north of Bastia. The vines, set on the seaside and in the middle of the Corsican maquis on a clayey-schist soil, in a very windy region, undergo the marine influence, which gives the wine a lot of finesse and minerality.
The Pieretti Winery, built in 1994, is located on the seaside, at the exit of the Village of Santa Severa. Open to the public from April to October or by appointment, you can taste and buy the different vintages produced by the estate.
The Pieretti Estate produces a small quantity of wine, 45,000 bottles a year. Pieretti wines, red, white, rosé and muscat are now recognized on the island but also on the mainland. In particular thanks to the Alicante grape variety, the signature of all the wines, which makes their originality.


Clos Dominici

Clos Dominici
On

Domaine created in 1900 by his great-grandfather, the vines of Clos Dominici extend over 8 hectares.
The vineyard is cultivated only with local varieties Niellucciu (for red and rosé wines), Vermentinu (for white wines) and Muscat Petit Grain.


More Pictures...

Serges Dominici works the vineyard with passion. He cultivates, ploughs, plows, prunes his estate as his ancestors did.
Each bunch is picked by hand.
This passion, which comes from his father and his grandfather, Serge Dominici controls his vinification very closely, which has earned him the organic farming label.
His production is about 20,000 bottles per year.
In their cellar in Patrimonio, accompanied by Mrs Dominici's zucchini fritters, tastings of the treasures of this estate combine richness and generosity.


Écausseville

Écausseville
On

Écausseville is a French commune, located in the department of Manche in the Normandy region, populated by 102 inhabitants, the Écaussevillais.


More Pictures...

Écausseville is a French commune, located in the department of Manche and the Lower Normandy region. Écausseville has a population of about 100 inhabitants, with a density of 16 inhabitants/km² and an area of 527 ha.
The inhabitants of Écausseville are the Ecaussevillais and the Ecaussevillaises.

 


Pages

Subscribe to Groups