Chapelle Notre Dame de Bonsecours
On February 24, 2020

Overlooking the eastern cliff of the town like a lighthouse, the church of Notre Dame de Bonsecours was built in 1876 and belonged to the Société de secours mutuel at the time. The Dieppois had in fact committed themselves to building a place of worship dedicated to sailors when the Calvary of the pier was inaugurated sixteen years earlier.


More Pictures...

Built in brick and decorated with coloured glazed bricks highlighting the bays and forming a frieze around the building, the church looks like a small reliquary placed on the cliff. Its very massive western facade with its bell tower framed by two turrets topped by conical-roofed bell towers, contrasts with the lighter aspect of the nave and chevet, as if bristling with pointed gables.
Its architecture, combining Romanesque (semicircular bays, blind arcade decorations, massive porch bell tower), Byzantine (polychrome decorations) and Oriental (conical bell towers) elements, is characteristic of the end of the 19th century. Inside, the church, also decorated with stained glass windows and statues, receives on its walls the ex-voto and commemorative plaques of the families who came to recollect or to flower the memory of their loved ones.